A phase by step guidebook on producing my mom’s Turkish stuffed grape leaves recipe. Just filled with rice, ground beef and layered with fresh lemon.
I grew up consuming stuffed grape leaves. They are an acquired taste being that the grape leaves sit in brine and stuffed in jars. The brine soaks into the leaves and at the very first turn of the jar you can smell the aroma of…brine. I don’t know how else to explain brine…vinegary with a slight tang, if that can make any sense.
I bear in mind mom generating stuffed grape leaves when I was minor and all through my upbringing. And this time, I was creating them all by myself. We roll and roll the leaves and have an assembly line going, so this is a great project with a group of people!
These stuffed grape leaves are distinct than the “other” ones you may uncover at Greek restaurants known as dolma. Nevertheless, no one particular tends to make them like my mom does and I have seen other spots things their grape leaves with pine nuts and dill and I’ve even heard of such as raisins, which sounds like an interesting twist. But I have to say, and get in touch with me bias, but Mom’s stuffed grape leaves are nonetheless my preferred.
Can You Use Fresh Grape Leaves
Yes you can! A bit more work, but not also considerably. Snip fresh grape leaves off the vine and try out and uncover medium sized ones, about the size of your palm.
Wash well and then boil grape leaves in salted water for 2 minutes. Once carried out, “shock the grape leaves” by plaving the leaves in a bowl filled with ice water. You will observe the greens flip a bit darker, like the ones you jarred.
From there, roll with your favorite mixture and proceed how you would cook the rest of the recipe.
My mom’s stuffed grape leaves recipe aka “yaprak” in Turkish is super straightforward and incredibly flavorful. Ground beef and rice are the only 2 elements stuffed in individuals huge briny leaves. The leaves are soaked and rinsed to support decrease that first tangy flavor, yet it nonetheless delivers its distinct briny note. Slices of lemon and pats of butter (Ssshh..don’t tell any person) are placed in the slow simmering pot with water and the residual liquid from the leaves produces a modest pool of sauce, sufficient to soften the stuffed grape leaves perfectly as they gently cook.
What to Serve with Stuffed Grape Leaves
- We really like serving grape leaf rolls along side Turkish spinach and feta borek as portion of a Mediterranean mezze spread or appetizer platter.
- For a lighter side, my kale tabbouleh with pomegranate and quinoa would be the best accompaniment with the bit of sweet and tartness from the pomegranate seeds.
- My homemade falafel recipe is served along side tahini yogurt, which would be wonderful for the stuffed grape leaves to dip into as effectively!
How to Make Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe
1) Eliminate packed grape leaves from the jar and gently pour into a colander. Unfold leaves, being mindful not to tear and run cold water above them for a few minutes. Make certain all the leaves have been rinsed properly.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and rice. Season with salt and pepper.
*You can test out a little meatball dimension in a frying pan to test the seasoning.
3) On a huge function surface, set up an assembly line: Have a spot to roll the leaf, the bowl with beef mixture and a large pot to area rolled leaves in.
4) On a flat, clean surface spread the leaf flat. There are two sides of the leaf. A “shiny” side and a “dull” side. Have the dull side facing you and the shine side down. Take away the stem with a small knife.
5) Area a modest teaspoon dimension of meat mixture onto the bottom of the leaf.
6) Roll up half way and then tuck the sides in. Carry on to roll until finally sealed.
7) Location stuffed grape leaves, seam side down, on the bottom of the pot.
*Area lemon slices in in between layers of stuffed grape leaves.
eight) When all the leaves are stuffed, pour one-2 cups of water in gradually and two-three Tb of butter. Any torn leaves can be positioned on prime to assist steam.
9) Cook the grape leaf rolls on lower-medium heat for about 1 hour, until the leaves are tender and meat is cooked.
There are so a lot of versions of stuffed grape leaves recipe and I would enjoy to hear yours! Do you stuff it with meat or keep it vegetarian? Do you consume your stuffed grape leaves cold or scorching?