By Allrecipes Editors
A single of the advantages of smoking a turkey is that it is almost extremely hard to overcook something in a smoker. The temperature stays lower and the cooking is slow, resulting in flawlessly moist and tender meat with a wealthy, complex taste. Even now need a recipe? Head on more than to our assortment of smoked turkey recipes to get commenced.
Smoked Turkey Resources
Apart from a smoker, there are a number of other things you’ll want to smoke your turkey:
- A massive pan
- An precise meat thermometer
- Wood chips–any sort of fruit wood, this kind of as apple or cherry, complements turkey very well, but hickory, pecan, and maple will also be very good
If you’re smoking a total turkey, we advised that you decide on 1 weighing no far more than about 15 pounds — massive turkeys take also prolonged to heat all the way through.
If you choose a frozen turkey, it need to be thoroughly thawed prior to you begin.
Be confident to eliminate all the giblets and gizzards from the turkey, as effectively as the plastic pop-up thermometer.
Prepping the Turkey for Smoking
To include even much more flavor to your turkey:
- Try brining: whilst not an important portion of smoking a turkey, soaking in brine before cooking provides the meat maximum flavor and juiciness.
- Rub bird with oil or butter for crispy and evenly browned skin.
- Apply a dry rub just before smoking. (If you have brined the turkey, you must not use any salt in the dry rub).
Unfortunately, you can not things a smoked turkey. Make your stuffing separately in the oven.
Smoking Your Turkey
As soon as you have prepped your turkey, you are prepared to begin smoking:
- Spot turkey in the pan, breast-side up.
- Insert the meat thermometer deep into the thigh, being careful not to touch the bone or joints.
- Run your smoker at 240 degrees F (115 degrees C).
- Permit thirty minutes of cooking time per pound of meat.
- Baste the turkey with its own juices a couple of times during smoking, but keep away from opening the smoker too frequently you will get rid of heat and increase the cooking time.
When the thermometer reads 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) , pull the bird out of the smoker and allow it rest at least 15 minutes. Carve and serve.
Some of our favorite smoked turkey recipes:
Turkey in a Smoker
“This is a fantastic recipe for smoked turkey,” says Doug Kacsir. “A barbecue grill is almost unattainable to cook a massive bird. A smoker is greatest for this. I prefer hickory chips or hickory wood. Hickory generates a much more even smokiness than other woods, and it does not matter no matter whether the wood is green or seasoned. Mesquite, if not properly seasoned, will make a creosote kind coating because of the sap that oozes out of the wood whilst cooking.”
Honey Smoked Turkey
“Sweet and light, this is the simplest way to cook a huge bird,” says ABAYIFO. “It will be the greatest turkey you have ever had. The breast is moist and juicy, and the honey helps make a wonderful thin sauce. I hope you enjoy it as much as my pals and family members do when I make it. I never ever have any leftovers! Take pleasure in!”
“This is an effortless-to-make recipe,” says Glenn. “I have attempted several other individuals using colas, fancy pans, and so forth., but none come out near as great as this. Keeping it simple is the best way. Be sure to use a large-high quality charcoal, so that it will burn for a long time. Turkey will be moist tender and smoky!”